Wednesday, February 4, 2009

dancing

I think I have found my new love.

Tonight Alli, Tom, Dan, Tom and I went to a west-coast swing dance class. We learned various different basic steps and practiced them during the class. Afterwards however there was free dance, and the studio filled quickly with people of all ages, with different dancing styles and techniques.

Never before have I encountered the joy of partner dancing. Being led through a dance is quite possibly one of the most delightful things I have ever experienced. There is just a beauty to the submission that takes place in a dance on the part of the woman. The man, when he is leading correctly, gives gentle yet sure guidance through the dance that made me feel both that I was a treasured and delicate lady. If I simply followed without question, the dance was beautiful, fun and easy. But when I tried to lead it was awkward, difficult and frustrating. I think there is a biblical lesson in there somewhere =)

Anyway, besides all of that, my heart was just bursting with joy the entire night, and while I can't tell exactly why, all I know is that I have found a new favorite in life.

On a less serious note, the evening was not without comical blunders. During a later part of the evening, a gentleman, who who was a well experienced dancer, asked me to dance. He proceeded to teach me more about dancing, while helping my technique. It was absolutely wonderful, and I gained so much from that time. Unfortunately, as a beginner, I have no idea what to do with my arms, or even legs at times, during spins. As we proceeded into a series of quick turns however, my right arm rose up and the who side of of my elbow and arm hit him VERY hard full on the face.

I don't know if you have ever taken the blunt side of an elbow to the face at a high speed, with your eyes closed, while spinning, but from the look on his face, I would never recommend for you to pursue such a thing. I felt so terrible!!

It really was very funny though.

I cannot wait to go dancing again!! Ahhh!!! What delight!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you do not have a blogger account, select 'name/url' in the 'comment as' scroll box. Then just type in your name. Don't worry about the URL =)